A small sampling of upcoming events for Canadian animal lovers:
* Toronto Cat Rescue will be holding a weekend adopt-a-thon on Saturday Aug. 6 & Sunday Aug. 7. Where: Galleria Mall Pet Valu, 1245 Dupont Street. The adoption fee is $175, which includes six weeks of free pet insurance. Call 416-538-8592 for more details.
* Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind opens the doors of its National Training Centre near Ottawa to the public on Saturday Aug. 6 from 11 am to 3 pm. Stop by the open house for tours, demonstrations and the chance to meet present and future guide dogs. Call 613-692-7777 or email email@example.com for more information.
* Pawlooza (above) is London, Ontario’s festival for dogs. Join 4,000 of Canada’s coolest canines at Plunkett Estate on Saturday Aug. 20 from 10 am to 6 pm for the ultimate dog party. Take your pup dock diving, get readings from a pet psychic, learn the essentials of pet first aid and more. Visit www.pawlooza.com for details.
* The annual Toronto Westie Walk and Family Fun Day takes place on Sunday Sept. 11 at Mississauga Valley Park. Highlights include a bagpiper-led walk around the park, Westie games and races, a BBQ and more. Proceeds go to support the volunteer rescue group Westies in Need. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-936-6691 for more info.
* Based in Barrie, Ontario, Golden Rescue is a volunteer organization that has been working for more than 20 years to help abused and abandoned Golden Retrievers. Their 10th Annual Golf “Fore” Gold fundraising tournament takes place Monday, Sept. 19 at the beautiful Hockley Valley Resort in Orangeville, Ontario. Check out www.goldenrescue.ca for more details.
If you’ve got a pet event you’d like to see highlighted on The Pet Network Web site or Facebook page, or in our email newsletter, The Scoop, just drop a comment or contact email@example.com.